The Southeastern Conference announced it’s baseball honors on Monday. The Florida Gators were well represented on the All-SEC Second Team as well as the SEC All-Defensive Team.
Four Gators (Michael Byrne, Alex Faedo, JJ Schwarz, and Brady Singer) were named to the Second Team while Florida’s middle infield (Deacon Liput, and Dalton Guthrie) was named to the All-Defensive Team.
All-SEC Second Team:
- Sophomore RHP Michael Byrne tied a team record with 13 saves this season. Byrne finished the year 2-4 with a team-leading 1.93 ERA in 27 appearances.
- Junior RHP Alex Faedo finished the year 7-2 with a 2.89 ERA in 14 starts. Faedo struck out 106 batters in 90.1 innings of work. Faedo is expected to be among the top picks in June’s MLB Draft.
- Junior C/1B JJ Schwarz finished the season with a .286 average and led the Gators with 9 home runs and 46 RBI. Schwarz also walked thirty times and hit 10 doubles.
- Sophomore RHP Brady Singer had a 7-3 record and carried a 2.67 ERA. Singer struck out 89 batters in 89 innings. Singer was drafted in the second round by the Toronto Blue Jays after high school, but chose to come to Florida after failing to sign.
SEC All-Defensive Team:
- Junior SS Dalton Guthrie makes the All-Defensive Team for the second year in a row. Guthrie made eight errors, but regularly made plays that others at his position couldn’t have. Guthrie was regularly featured in ESPN’s Top Ten.
- Junior 2B Deacon Liput made the All-Defensive Team as he made only one error all season. Liput finished the 2017 season with a .996 fielding percentage.