The University of Florida is unlikely to be looking for a new football or basketball coach any time soon. The school announced that both football head coach Jim McElwain and men’s basketball head coach Mike White agreed to contract extensions on Friday.
- Tim Tebow scores game winning run, injures hand
- FB: Gators C TJ McCoy named to Rimington Trophy watchlist
- SB: Jennifer Rocha accepts position at Oklahoma
- FB: Gators LB David Reese named to Bednarik watchlist
- Peter Alonso homers in MLB Futures Game, Buddy Reed also goes 1-2 in Team USA victory
McElwain, who has led Florida to two SEC East titles, earned a one year extension that goes through 2022. In January, McElwain told a sold out crowd at O’Connell Center that Florida would “kick the door down” and win the SEC Championship after embarrassing losses the last two years to Alabama.
White has guided Florida basketball to a 48-24 record since taking over after Billy Donovan left for the NBA. White led Florida to the Elite Eight in the NCAA Tournament this year, and is expected to begin next season as a Top-10 team. White’s contract now extends to the end of the 2023 season.
Both coaches received pay raises with the extension.
“Both Coach Mac and Coach White have done a phenomenal job of leading our programs and we look forward to having them lead the Gators for years to come.”
-Florida Athletic Director Scott Stricklin