Florida 72, Texas Tech 67
The Gators women’s basketball team finally earned their first win of the season on Sunday, defeating the Texas Tech Red Raiders 72-67.
The Gators were led by four players that finished in double-figures in scoring. Funda Nakkasoglu led all scorers with 21 points while freshman guard Ariel Johnson added a career high 14, making four shots from beyond the three-point arc.
Florida entered halftime tied with the Red Raiders thanks to a solid defensive effort. At the intermission, Florida had only made nine of their 41 attempts from the field, and only three of their 27 attempts from inside the three-point line.
The third quarter saw a back and forth affair continue. Late in the period, Texas Tech took a 45-43 lead, but Nakkasoglu was found in the corner and sank a three as the buzzer sounded to send Florida into the fourth with the lead and with the momentum.
The Gators utilized that momentum and carried it to their first victory of the season. Florida has had a few chances this year with a late lead only to watch it evaporate. The team showed it’s progression by closing out this game against a very good team.
- In addition to her 21 points, Nakkasoglu made all four free-throws she attempted late in the game to seal the victory.
- Kiki Smith added 11 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists.
- Emanuely de Oliveira chipped in ten points while knocking down 2-5 from deep.
- Zada Williams grabbed twelve boards and Delicia Washington added 10.
- Florida outrebounded the Red Raiders 47-44. Texas Tech entered the game averaging 50 rebounds and a +15 margin each game. Florida recorded 11 second chance points.
- Paige Robinson added 8 points and 9 rebounds.
Florida will continue a four game home stand and will face Bethune-Cookman on Wednesday. The Wildcats are 4-2 on the season.