FLORIDA 2, NORTH FLORIDA 1
Gainesville, FL – One night after opening the renovated Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium against the Japanese National Team, the Gators returned to regular season action with a matchup against the Ospreys of North Florida. Florida defeated UNF 3-1 to move to 6-0 on the season.
Florida got on the board early with a RBI double by junior catcher Kendyl Lindaman that scored Amanda Lorenz who walked in the at-bat prior.
The Gators added to the lead in the second inning with a little ‘small ball’. Sophomore Jordan Matthews opened the inning with a single through the right side hole. Junior shortstop Sophia Reynoso bunted Matthews over to second. Hannah Sipos followed with a single to left to put runners on the corners with one out. Hannah Adams drove in the run with a sacrifice fly to left as the throw was way off line.
Florida added to the lead in the fifth inning when Alex Voss sent a liner over the head of UNF RF Dominica Cocuzza that scored Jaimie Hoover to push the lead to 3-0.
The Ospreys finally broke through in the top of the sixth. Katelin Davis singled to the right side that scored Tiffany Lower who had walked earlier in the inning.
Kelly Barnhill finished the contest with a perfect seventh inning.
- Natalie Lugo carried Florida through six innings, allowing only two hits and one run while striking out five.
- Kelly Barnhill pitched the seventh inning and struck out all three batters she faced.
- C Kendyl Lindaman finished the game 2-3 with an RBI and is now hitting .391 on the season.
- The Gators hit just 2-11 (.182) with runners in scoring position.
- Head coach Tim Walton: “I thought Natalie did a good job today, competing for us. Defense played really well. Offensively, just been kind of ho-hum, I’ve not really been impressed the way we’ve swung the bat.”
- Pitcher Natalie Lugo about her performance: “I didn’t have a lot of strikeouts, but trusted my defense and [the offense] got us three runs.”
- Catcher Kendyl Lindaman about her RBI double in the first inning: “I tried not to think too much about [the at-bat], I have great hitters in front of me and behind me so there’s no nerves up there.”
W: Lugo (2-0)
L: Morgan Blourne (0-1)