The Florida Gators earned a run-rule victory over Tennessee in the SEC opening weekend finale on Sunday.
While Florida’s bats got going, Kelly Barnhill was back to her dominant self in the circle.
Barnhill struck out the side in each of the first four innings and finished with 13 k’s on the day.
The Florida offense finally broke through in the third inning when DP Kendyl Lindaman “scorched” a two-run homer over the left field fence, as head coach Tim Walton described the homer.
In the fourth inning LF Jade Caraway beat out an infield single with two outs to extend the inning. The next hitter, Amanda Lorenz capitalized by sending an opposite field shot to nearly the same place as Lindaman’s homer.
Florida (22-4, 1-2 SEC) scored four runs in the sixth inning, all with two outs. Jade Caraway once again played catalyst, beating out another infield single which gave way to Amanda Lorenz to crush a three-run blast and extend the lead to seven runs.
Jaimie Hoover then singled and reached second on an error. Hannah Adams’ double to the gap sent Hoover home for the walkoff.
- Kelly Barnhill’s final statline: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 13 K, 1 BB
- Amanda Lorenz finished 3-3 with 2 HR, 3 R, 5 RBI, and a walk.
- Jade Caraway went 2-3 in her first appearance in the series.
- Head Coach Tim Walton on Jade Caraway: “was the key to the game… she’s starting to get comfortable.”
- Amanda Lorenz: “Super pumped about Kendyl’s home run…credit to Jade for both of my hits..”
- Kelly Barnhill on the difference between her performance Sunday vs Friday: “I was hitting the spots and moving the ball around more.”
W: Barnhill (13-2)
L: Caylan Arnold (7-2)