Final: Florida 5, UCF 0
The Florida Gators defeated UCF 5-0 in midweek action ahead of a key SEC series against LSU.
Kelly Barnhill pitched a complete game while scattering five hits and led Florida to their 11th shutout of the season.
2B Hannah Adams started the scoring in the first inning when she singled with the bases loaded to score DP Kendyl Lindaman.
The Gators added three runs in the third frame. Jade Caraway singled to score pinch runner Lily Mann, and Jordan Matthews scored when Alex Voss was hit by a pitch with the sacks full. Caraway scored on a passed ball during Amanda Lorenz’ at-bat.
Danielle Romanello provided the last piece of insurance in the sixth inning with a solo homer to right-center.
The Gators are now 23-4 on the season and a Saturday, Sunday, Monday series in Baton Rouge looms.
- Kelly Barnhill’s final line: 7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 8 K, 1 BB
- Danielle Romanello reached base three times in her four plate appearances. (She was hit by a pitch and walked).
- Sophia Reynoso was the only Gator to record multiple hits.
- Florida went 3-14 with runners in scoring position.
- Head coach Tim Walton: “Just like Sunday, the bottom of the lineup propelled us to victory tonight.”
- Pitcher Kelly Barnhill: “I’ve felt really good the last two games, but I’m still working on (being my best).”
- Danielle Romanello on playing at LSU: “I’ve heard it’s a fun place to play, especially a Saturday, Sunday, Monday series.”
The Gators travel to Baton Rouge to face LSU. The Tigers are 22-5 and 2-1 in league play after taking two of three from Texas A&M last weekend.