Final: Florida 15, Bethune-Cookman 0
Gainesville, FL – The Florida Gators offense struck for 15 runs against a Wildcats team that has defeated three ranked teams this season.
Florida scored three runs in the first inning, with each of the top three batters in the lineup scoring. Jade Caraway led off the game with an infield single and Hannah Adams followed by reaching on a bunt single. A poorly thrown ball allowed Caraway to get to third base, then Caraway darted home with the infield sleeping to give the Gators an early 1-0 lead. Jordan Roberts and Danielle Romanello hit back-to-back sacrifice flies before the inning ended.
The Gators then put double figures up on the scoreboard in the second by adding ten runs on only four hits. The highlights of the frame were 2-RBI doubles by Amanda Lorenz and Jordan Roberts.
Florida was able to utilize it’s bench once they took a 13-0 lead. Florida added two runs in the third as Cheyenne Lindsey and Alex Voss came around to score on Lily Mann’s single up the middle.
In all, 17 Gators made plate appearances, something head coach Tim Walton said they, “earned.”
- Kelly Barnhill started the game and threw three innings to earn her 18th win of the season. Final line: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 4 K, 1 BB
- Natalie Lugo (1 IP), Elizabeth Hightower (.2 IP), and Katie Chronister (.1 IP) combined to pitch 2 innings with 4 strikeouts and only allowed one hit.
- Jade Caraway went 2-3 and scored two runs from the leadoff spot.
- Hannah Adams went 2-2 with two runs scored.
- Hannah Sipos made two plate appearances, walking both times.
- Head coach Tim Walton: “Jade has gotten better every day.”
- Amanda Lorenz: “It was good to see something things go our way…hard work is paying off.”
- Jade Caraway: “(the game has) slowed down, I’m not trying to do too much at the plate.”
Florida will travel to Oxford to face Ole Miss in conference play. The series will begin on Friday and run through Sunday.
The Rebels have the best ERA in the SEC but also have the lowest batting average in the conference.