Final: Gators 4, FSU 0
Tallahassee, FL- The Florida softball team avenged an earlier loss to rival Florida State with a 4-0 defeat of the Seminoles on Wednesday. The Gators have now won eight straight and have taken down Top-25 teams a nation leading 13 times this year.
The Gators move to 37-9 with the win. Kelly Barnhill tossed a complete game, two-hitter for her 25th win of the year.
Florida got on the board with a three-spot in the fourth. Jordan Matthews doubled off the wall in center to score pinch runner Amanda Beane. Hannah Adams followed suit with a two-run double that plated pinch runner Haven Sampson and Matthews.
Florida added an insurance run in the top of the seventh as Jordan Roberts singled in Ananda Lorenz.
The four runs of support were more than Barnhill needed. The Gators ace allowed only two hits and walked three to a potent Seminoles lineup. Barnhill added nine strikeouts to her career tally, keeping her on pace to surpass the program record, perhaps as early as this weekend.
- Second baseman Hannah Adams went 3-3 with a double and 2 RBI.
- SS Sophia Reynoso finished 3-4 and made an excellent diving catch just beyond third base to end a Seminoles threat
- Jordan Roberts went 2-3 with an RBI
- Barnhill’s final line: 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 9 K, 3 BB, 113 pitches
- Head coach Tim Walton: “(Kelly’s) riseball was moving well and she was locating her pitches.”
- Walton: “A great at bat by (Jordan Matthews, she was down in the count, but made the adjustments she needed to.”