The Florida Gators are headed to the NCAA Super Regionals for the seventh straight year. Florida topped Boise State 5-0 on Sunday to continue their post-season journey.
Florida took an early 2-0 lead as both Amanda Lorenz and Kendyl Lindaman came around to score after reaching base via a single (Lorenz) and a walk (Lindaman).
A perfectly executed sacrifice bunt by Hannah Adams moved the runners in scoring position before a wild pitch and a sacrifice fly from Sophia Reynoso allowed the runs to score.
The Gators added to the lead in the third frame on Jordan Roberts’ sacrifice fly that brought pinch runner Lily Mann in to score.
A solo homer by Jaimie Hoover to lead off the fourth made it a 4-0 ball game, but the Gators had a chance to break the game open even further. With the bases loaded, Hannah Adams grounded out to first. The ball was actually in a difficult spot, but it hit Kendyl Lindaman for the final out of the inning.
Florida tacked on a run via the bottom of the order as pinch hitter Cheyenne Lindsey beat out a ball hit back to the pitcher. Reynoso busted it around third and beat the throw home for the Gators’ fifth run on the day.
- Amanda Lorenz: 3-4, 2B
- Kelly Barnhill: 6 IP, 2H, 0 R, 6 K, 1 BB
- Kendyl Lindaman: 1-1, R, 3 BB
- Jaimie Hoover: 1-3, HR, RBI
- Tim Walton: “This was a good, competitive regional. I’m impressed with how well all of our players competed and performed.”
- Kelly Barnhill: “I threw more riseballs…I didn’t think I threw my best this weekend.”
- Amanda Lorenz: “SEC play prepared us for a weekend like this.” Also: “The crowd was awesome, they were so hyped all weekend.”
Florida will face the winner of the Knoxville Regional. Tennessee and North Carolina are currently in a deciding game for the right to advance. The Tar Heels forced the deciding game with a 1-0 win in the first game on Sunday.