Following a triumphant opening weekend doubleheader at USF, the Gators prevailed in their home opener before sweeping the Bubly Invitational to conclude a 6-0 week.
In last Wednesday’s home opener against Jacksonville, UF second baseman Hannah Adams hit a walk-off double in the bottom of the seventh to drive in the lone run of the game and lift the Gators to victory.
Over the weekend, Florida outscored its Bubly Invitational opponents, Georgia Southern and Charlotte, 30-6 across five games. Despite occasional scoring droughts, the Gators’ pitching staff was in cruise control, finishing the weekend with a 0.85 team ERA.
Overall Record: 8-0
SEC Record: 0-0
National Ranking (USA Today/NFCA Coaches): 6
- 2/17 vs Jacksonville – W, 1-0
- 2/19 vs Georgia Southern – W, 8-3
- 2/20 vs Georgia Southern – W, 2-1
- 2/20 vs Charlotte – W, 5-2
- 2/21 vs Charlotte – W, 4-0
- 2/21 vs Georgia Southern – W, 11-0 (F/5)
- Head coach Tim Walton’s earned his 800th win at UF
- Fifth-year LHP Katie Chronister won SEC Pitcher of the Week honors
Pitcher of the Week: LHP Katie Chronister (Sr.)
- 3-0, 12.2 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 8 K (0.00 ERA, 0.33 WHIP)
After tossing 12.2 scoreless innings and picking up three wins, the southpaw Gainesville native improved to 4-0 while earning SEC Pitcher of the Week honors.
Chronister surrendered just four hits and no walks, granting the fifth-year senior a team-low 0.31 WHIP. In Sunday’s win over Charlotte, Chronister struck out six batters en route to her second career complete-game shutout.
“Being able to establish my spots, not leaving too many down the middle and making sure that I have a defense that can work for me will always make me successful,” Chronister said.
Player of the Week: 3B Charla Echols (Jr.)
- 7-18 (.389/.500/.722), 3 R, 7 RBIs, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 4 BB (.542 Season BA)
Following a six-hit, six-RBI performance in the USF doubleheader, Echols went 7-18 and drove in seven runs last week.
The Newnan, Georgia, native hit her second home run of the season Friday night before delivering in a high-pressure situation against Georgia Southern Saturday. Down 1-0 with two outs and the bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh, Echols knocked a clutch walk-off single.
- Thursday, 2/25 vs UNF @ 6 p.m.
- Saturday, 2/27 vs Louisville @ 1 p.m.
- Sunday, 2/28 vs Louisville @ 10 a.m.
- Sunday, 2/28 vs McNeese State @ 1 p.m.