The Florida Gators are facing elimination for the first time since Regionals after suffering a 4-3 defeat to the LSU Tigers Saturday night in game one of the College World Series Championship Series.
Florida entered postseason play as the nation’s No. 2 overall seed while the Bayou Bengals were named the No. 5 seed.
We will be following all the action from my couch in Gainesville, FL. The game is set to begin at 3:00 PM ET.
*Make sure to refresh the page for the most up to date information. Also, the newest posts will show up at the top of the liveblog, rather than at the bottom. (All times Eastern Time).
Final: Gators 24, LSU 4
The two teams will meet Monday night for the national championship.
- Beloso: H – groundout to first
- (PH) Jones: BBFC – groundout to second
- Jobert: SH- solo homer to center
- (PH) Nippolt: CBFBH – groundout to first
- Riopelle: CSFH – solo homer run
- (PH) Talbott: BBFBSS – strikeout swinging
- Shelnut: BSBBH – single up the middle, scored
- (PH) Prevesk: FBH – single, E9, scored Shelnut, scored
- Halter: FCBBH – RBI single, scored
- (PH) Thomas: BBBB – walk, scored
- (PH) Robertson: BCBSBFB – walk
- (PH) Fabian: CH – 2RBI single
- Rivera: FFS – strikeout swinging
- Riopelle: BCSS – strikeout swinging
- 5 R, 5 H, 1 E, 1 LOB
Florida sets the MCWS record for runs in a single game with 24!
Through eight, Florida leads LSU 19-3.
- Parsons: CH – fly out to second
- (PH) Kling: BCSB – single up the middle
- (PH) Merrifield: H – lineout to left
- (PH) Frey: SBFH – reached on E5
- Dugas: FH – fielded choice
- 0 R, 1 H, 1 E, 2 LOB
- Shelnut: BBBB – walk
- Evans: FSFBH – single up the middle
- Halter: BBBCH – flyout to left-center
- Kurland: H – groundout to pitcher
- Langford: FFH – two-run double
- Caglianone: 2-run home run
- Rivera: BCH – groundout to short
Langford nearly gets the cycle but holds up at second. Caglianone hits homer #33 to break the BBCOR record in a single season.
Through seven, Florida leads LSU 15-3.
- Beloso: CCBBFH – flyout to left
- Travinski: H – groundout to third
- Jobert: BCSX – HBP
- Thompson: BSFS – strikeout swinging
- O R, O H, O E, 1 LOB
- Halter: CBSBFS – strikeout swinging, scored
- Kurland: BBSFH – double to left
- Langford: H – RBI double
- Pitching change – RHP Little
- Caglianone: FBH – RBI groundout to first
- Rivera: CH – single to left
- Rivera steals second, advances to third E2
- Riopelle: BBBCCB – walk
- Heyman: BFBSBS – strikeout swinging
- 2 R, 3 H, 1 E, 2 LOB
Through six, Florida leads LSU 13-3.
- White: CH – groundout to third
- Morgan: FCBBH – groundout to first
- Dugas: CBBFFS – strikeout swinging
- O R, O H, O E, O LOB
- Halter: FH – ground-rule double to right center, scored
- Kurland: X – HBP, scored
- Langford: SH – 3-run home run
- Caglianone: SBH – Opposite Field HR
- Rivera: FCH – Reached on E5, scored
- Pitching change – RHP Money
- Riopelle: BSSBBS – Strikeout swinging
- Heyman: H – flyout to left
- Shelnut: BSFH – RBI single
- Evans: BBCFFFBH – groundout to pitcher
- 5 R, 4 H, 1 E, 1 LOB
Through five, Florida leads LSU 8-3.
- RHP Ficarrotta pitching for UF
- Jobert: SBBCH – lineout to center
- Thompson: BFBFBFH – flyout to center
- Pearson: BCFBH – single to right
- Crews: BFBFBH – groundout to third
- 0 R, 1 H, 0 E, 1 LOB
- RHP Collins pitching for LSU
- Riopelle: BH – single to center
- Heyman: CBH – lineout to center
- Shelnut: BFFFH – lineout to center
- Evans: CSFS – strikeout swinging
- O R, 1 H, O E, O LOB
Through four, Florida leads LSU 8-3.
- Morgan: BBCBB – walk
- Dugas: BCH – 6-4-3 double play
- Beloso: CBBBB – walk
- Travinski: BCFBH – fielder’s choice
- 0 R, 0 H, 0 E, 1 LOB
- Kurland: BCBBB – walk, scored
- Langford: FH – single to second
- Caglianone: BBH – fielder’s choice, run scores on E6
- LSU challenges slide into second (confirmed)
- Rivera: BFSC – strikeout looking
- Caglianone caught stealing
- 1 R, 1 H, 1 E, 0 LOB
Through three, Florida leads LSU 7-3.
- Jobert: BBBCB – walk
- Thompson: BCBFS – strikeout swinging
- Pearson: CBBBFFFB – walk
- Crews: CFFB – hit by pitch
- Pitching change – RHP Blake Purnell
- White: BH – 6-4-3 double play
- O R, 0 H, 0 E, 2 LOB
Purnell induces the double play to end the threat. Gators lead 7-3.
- Kurland: HBP, scored
- Langford: CH – single to left, scored
- Caglianone: H – RBI single to center, scored
- Rivera: FSBH – RBI single, scored
- Riopelle: CBBSC – strikeout looking
- Heyman: CBH – reached on E-6, scored
- Pitching change – RHP Gavin Guidry
- Shelnut: SCS – strikeout swinging
- Evans: H – Grand Slam
- Halter: BSH – groundout to first
- 6 R, 4 H, 1 E, 0 LOB
Ty Evans hits a grand slam to put the Gators ahead 7-3.
Through two, LSU leads Florida 3-1.
- Thompson: BFH – liner out to center
- Pearson: BBBB – walk, scored
- Crews: H – single to left, scored
- White: FFBBFFH – RBI single
- Morgan: BH – sac fly
- Dugas: HBP
- Beloso: BSBBB – walk
- Travinski: CSBBFFFFH – groundout to third
- 2 R, 2 H, 0 E, 3 LOB
Waldrep escapes another bases loaded jam, but he surrendered two more run and LSU retakes the lead 3-1.
- Heyman: CBFBS – strikeout swinging
- Shelnut: CCS – strikeout swinging
- Evans: CH – Solo Home Run
- Halter: BBFH – flyout to right
- 1 R, 1 H, 0 E, 0 LOB
Ty Evans hits one down the left field line. He stood at the plate not knowing if it would stay fair. It did and the Gators tie the game at one.
Through one, LSU leads Florida 1-0.
- Crews: BH – single to left, scored
- White: BSFBS – strikeout swinging
- Morgan: BBBCH – groundout to short
- Dugas: BCBH – RBI double
- Beloso: BBBB – walk
- Travinski: BSCBBB – walk
- Jobert: BBH – groundout to second
- 1 R, 2 H, 0 E, 3 LOB
Waldrep manages to get the Tigers to leave the bases loaded, but he does give up one run and throws 29 pitches.
- Kurland: SBFBBH – Legs out single
- Langford: BBCBSB – Walk
- Caglianone: CBH – Groundout to first
- Rivera: BBCCS – strikeout swinging
- Riopelle: BBFBFL – Strikeout looking
- O R, 1 H, 0 E, 2 LOB
Florida will serve as the ‘away’ team today.
2:45 PM – Pitching Matchup:
- UF: Waldrep (10-3, 3.99 ERA)
- LSU: Ackenhausen (3-0, 2.86 ERA)
2:40 PM – Florida’s lineup:
2:30 PM – LSU has released their starting lineup for today’s game:
Let’s Geaux pic.twitter.com/PbhNcqPNx2— LSU Baseball (@LSUbaseball) June 25, 2023
1:50 PM – Check back at 2:30 PM for information on the starting lineup and any changes the Gators may make.
1:48 PM – Obvious opinion, Florida’s 1-3 hitters have to be productive at the plate if Florida is going to win. As a team, the Gators are hitting just .214 since arriving in Omaha. The 1-3 hitters have gone just 8-52 (.154) in the College World Series. They have to play the role of catalyst.
1:46 PM – The Gators will be starting RHP Hurston Waldrep who has absolutely dazzled in post-season play. He’s given up just one run in 21 innings and struck out 37 (15.9 K/9).
1:45 PM – Florida arrived at Charles Schwab Field just after 1:00 PM.