FINAL: Florida 53 Charleston Southern 6
Gainesville, FL – The Dan Mullen era is off to a great start as the Gators bullied FCS foe, Charleston Southern in front of a frenzied home crowd. While Florida’s ability to win this game was never really in question, there were still plenty of questions to answer. Will the offense look anemic? Will it be fun? What will Feleipe Franks look like?
Well, it wasn’t, it was, and he looked very capable. Franks became the first Gators quarterback to throw 5 touchdowns in a single game since Chris Leak in 2004. Franks showed poise and confidence as he delivered strike after strike to a loaded receiving corps. The two transfers in that unit, each scored with Trevon Grimes receiving 1 TD and Van Jefferson hauling in a pair.
The biggest surprise may have been the amount of passing plays versus the number of rushing plays. But Mullen also surprised the fans with a throwback to what Gators football used to be. What it is supposed to be. We saw the return of the infamous “jump pass” and excellent special teams play including two blocked kicks. One of those was returned for the Gators final score of the night.
While this was a fun game for the Gators and their fans, the level of competition will take a massive step forward as the Gators open SEC play next weekend when Kentucky comes to town. Expect Mullen and the Gators to be focused and give relentless effort in preparation for this contest as it will be the first true test of who this team is. But for now, enjoy this win.
- 1st Quarter: FL. Trevon Grimes 34 yard TD reception. Franks pass. 12:40
- 1st Quarter: FL. Evan McPherson 21 yard FG. 8:10
- 2nd Quarter: FL. Van Jefferson 6 yard TD reception. Franks pass. 13:19
- 2nd Quarter: FL. Josh Hammond 6 yard TD reception. Franks pass. 9:51
- 2nd Quarter: FL. Tyrie Cleveland 3 yard TD reception. Franks pass. 5:49
- 2nd Quarter: FL. Van Jefferson 3 yard TD reception. Franks pass. 1:38
- 3rd Quarter: FL. Evan McPherson 37 yard FG. 10:58
- 3rd Quarter: FL. Kyle Trask 12 yard rushing TD. 7:28
- 3rd Quarter: FL. Jorge Powell 39 yard FG. 4:49
- 4th Quarter: CSU. Terrance Wilson 22 yard rushing TD. 13:40
- 4th Quarter: FL. Austin Perry blocked PAT conversion. 13:40
|Feleipe Franks: 16/24 219 YDS 5 TD
Kyle Trask: 3/3 CMP 22 YDS 0 TD
|London Johnson: 3/12 2 YDS
Jack Chambers: 2/4 1 YDS 1 INT
|D. Pierce: 8 CAR 75 YDS 9.4 YPC
M. Davis: 6 CAR 38 YDS 6.3 YPC
F. Franks: 5 CAR 34 YDS 6.8 YPC
J. Scarlett: 6 CAR 24 YDS 4.0 YPC
|R. Harris: 8 CAR 83 YDS 10.4 YPC
L. Johnson: 14 CAR 72 YDS 5.1 YPC
T. Wilson: 9 CAR 43 YDS 4.8 YPC 1 TD
|F. Swain: 2 REC 57 YDS 28.5 YPC
T. Grimes: 3 REC 50 YDS 16.7 YPC 1 TD
V. Jefferson: 4 REC 34 YDS 8.5 YPC 2 TD
T. Cleveland: 2 REC 10 YDS 5.0 YPC 1 TD
J. Hammond: 1 REC 6 YDS 6.0 YPC 1 TD
|G. Wall: 1 REC 5 YDS 5.0 YPC
T. Lindsey: 1 REC 5 YDS 5.0 YPC
|Time of Possession||27:58||32:02|
SEC EAST STANDINGS:
Florida Gators vs. Kentucky at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. The game will be televised on the SEC Network at 7:30 p.m.