SEC Media Days presents the first sign of college football being around the corner. With just six weeks remaining before the start of the season, Media Days has finally arrived.
The Florida Gators will be the first team to take the stage on Monday and should be highlighted from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM with numerous interviews scheduled throughout the day.
Make sure to refresh this page to stay up to date with all the information as it happens.
Florida Gators Detailed Schedule:
The Liveblog will begin at 12:30 ET, so make sure to check back to stay up to date.
12:30 PM: SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey takes the podium.
- says that with new ESPN / ABC deal, teams should know start times in the summer, rather than a week before.
- states with pride that no SEC programs were dropped during the pandemic.
- 185 students opted out of playing, but still received the financial backing they were promised.
- states “with six weeks to go until the season, now is the time to seek full vaccination.”
- suggests that football games cancelled due to Covid won’t be rescheduled this season.
- states that NIL should be regulated federally
1:15 PM: Dan Mullen arrives to the podium.
- Gene Chizik says the Gators defense is the biggest question mark heading into 2021.
- Greg Sankey introduces Mullen
- Mullen says “it’s really exciting to be back in Hoover”
- “There’s a lot of production to fill offensively.”
- “Emory Jones has played a bunch of football, we’ve rotated (WRs) very well, so we have a lot of experience coming back.” Repeats that Anthony Richardson is competing for the job, as well.
- “We will be a little different offensively.”
- “Would love the opportunity to compete in Atlanta for the SEC Championship like last year.”
- “I think we are doing well with (vaccination percentage),” but won’t get into specifics about numbers.
- Says that he’s been successful at adapting his offense around the strengths of his quarterbacks.
- Diabate is a dynamic player with speed off the edge.
- Says the league is at a higher level now than when UF won titles in 2006 and 2008.
- Says NIL is a learning curve, but is excited for the opportunities it presents his players.
- “I have very, very high expectations for quarterbacks.” Says Emory Jones texted him, “I want to be your quarterback.” Talks about his growth and development over the last several years.
- Suggests that the defense didn’t “never figure it out,” instead says they were “erratic.”
- Mullen says he wouldn’t be opposed to doing away with the crossover game (LSU) each year, so you would get matchups with other division opponents.